Sunday, December 20, 2020

Re-Learning Grief

 

Grief is ugly, raw, and visceral; yet in no way, does it give permission for one hurting individual, to cause pain for another.

This Blog is dedicated to those who were caught in my cross-hairs of anguish nearly ten years ago, in hopes the light overcomes the shadows.

Each of us can look back on our lives and see profound moments where we would want to remove instances where we could obliterate the pain caused by rash decisions, engraved with pain, and altering our lives, where we cry out in sorrow.

I’ve been held to these moments; circumstances where I instead of honouring ones memory; I made a choice to let my heartache override all else.

When on December 12, 2011 I helped to compose the obituary of my 21-year-old daughter Shayla; I failed to include certain others who loved her, her were grieving her loss and who were truly innocent- yet found themselves caught up in the cross-hairs of immeasurable loss.

This summer, a rebounding release of sorrow was delivered m way with heart-wrenching impact.

It took me nearly ten years to understand how the enemy Never forgets, but there is Hope...

When my only child died suddenly in a tragic car wreck, before Christmas 2011, I took to heart the words…the pen is mightier than the sword and in my anger of an estranged, dysfunctional family, I aimed to cut out any loved ones who had caused me pain; those I could not collectively grieve with.

Over the years, I convinced myself that I was innocent in doing such a hurtful thing; yet a part of me took out my anger on those who may have been distant from me— yet loved Shayla profusely!

Years later, I would be asked to lead a faith-based course called “GriefShare.”

My first reaction was to pass.

I questioned how I could possibly lead others in bereavement? When I myself had messed up badly…handling those connected to my daughter’s loss.

Still, I felt this course placed upon my heart.

I went into getting facilitated, by acknowledging that I was the ‘blank canvas/the clay... with the Lord being the artist and the potter’.

God’s reminder…He was not finished with me and I still had to learn that in my loss…I was not alone.

I had previously been a part of The Compassionate Friends Of Canada http://tcfcanada.net/

and also The Hospice in Langley ( where I took part in a 8 month bereavement support group). 

I learned I had the right to grieve; even express anger...but in a safe environment. 

Having a child die and later leading a 5 month Bereavement course, does not make me an expert on loss...no, it gave me a better insight into my own grieving process. 

I spent the summer taking the course; watching videos, writing in my workbook ~ all things that would be required of those who I would led (guided by God).

The course was very specific…that if I were hanging onto anger and residual heartache, connected to others…I would be in no shape to be a leader.

I knew I would have to readdress the original Obituary I had composed years earlier and do a re-write…to finish what I had started and to seek peace and forgiveness for the one person who was my worst enemy, who loathed my actions…myself.

The following is my revisions. One that with clarity, I realized its long overdue – in print. Keep in mind, I am certain someone was still overlooked, yet I tried my very best, holding out on Hope that others know where they were placed in Shayla’s life. …


 One of the shining...


...stars upon this earth has found her place in heaven.

Shayla Rae Dawn Driver (Alton) was taken from us suddenly as a result of a tragic car accident on McKinley Landing Monday, December 12, 2011.Shayla had travelled from her home in Kamloops to Kelowna to visit family and welcome the newest addition, a baby boy named Harrison Alton. One week later, Shayla was to have travelled to her mother's home in the Fraser Valley and celebrate Christmas with the two of them spending the holidays in Victoria. During the 21 years she spent with family, friends and those who loved her; her vibrancy was felt in everything she did and the compassion she showed to countless others was immeasurable. When Shayla walked into a room, her lively laughter filled every inch of it and when she left it, the love Shayla contained was released; shining goodness unto others.

Her devotion to helping those less fortunate knew no bounds; from her involvement with the homeless, poverty stricken, survivors of abuse, those who had mental health issues and at-risk aboriginal youth, her body had to grow to accommodate her immense, kind heart. Shayla was a warrior in that she stood up for others and her own beliefs; she was naturally drawn to those who were as unique as she was. Her love of everything colorful saw Shayla change her hair color to suit whatever mood she felt and evoked a sense of eclectic fashion style which reflected her rainbow spirit.

Her faith was the source of her true roots; for Shayla’s baptism and devotion to the one who came to save us; reigned deep in her life.

Her aboriginal roots were important; as she embraced who she believed she was and took great pride in playing the Honour Drum she was given at her Kelowna Senior Secondary graduation by Richard Gauthier.

In August 2011, Shayla fulfilled a childhood dream, along with her mother when they travelled to Disney world. It was her wish to see the Magical Kingdom and castle. As the sky lit up with a kaleidoscope of fireworks, the girl who wished upon a star became the Princess, we already knew she was.

Now, as her life has been sadly taken, the loss of Shayla has had a ripple effect on this world. She was predeceased by her Auntie Marilyn Sinoski, who now joins her in peace.

Shayla is survived by and will be lovingly be remembered by her mother, Tonya Alton (Paul Padgett who many times was the reason Shayla was able to travel and see them. Her father, David Alton, her brother Gary Alton, and sister-in-law Christel Alton, along with their baby boy, Harrison Alton. Her sister Kimberly Osborne, nephew Mason Osborne, niece, Parker Osborne, Faye Osborne, and family. Shayla also leaves behind her two cousins Matthew and Tristan Murphy, her Uncle Brad Murphy, and Beloved Aunt Mara, who loved Shayla dearly.

In grieving her loss, is her grandmother Dee McQuay, who Shayla spent many summers with on Vancouver Island, creating special memories together.

She leaves behind to mourn numerous extended family.

Also left in sorrow are David Wilson, Joanne and Barry Wilson and family.

Shayla’s extended family Aunty Lori, Sean, Melissa, Brian Lightle, Aunty Leeann, Devon and Dawson Frayn, Sherry Brown, and endless friends, including Chantelle Carriere, Jaclyn Porter, KK and so many more.

Shayla’s connections to Salmon Arm and the Falkland area, gave her mother a chance to express with deepest gratitude, the pursuit of forgiveness in the form of a special Sitka Tree.

A service to Celebrate the life of this amazing angel will be held on Tuesday, December 20 at First Memorial Funeral Services 1211 Sutherland Avenue in Kelowna at 11:11 am. Please wear something with the colours of the rainbow to reflect the vibrant girl, we all were touched dearly by. We request no flowers and in lieu of them and to honour Shayla, please make a donation to The United Way c/o the Homeless Action Plan in Kamloops or The Canadian Mental Health Association.

On behalf of the family of Shayla Rae Dawn Driver, we would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to those who tried to save our babygirl and those who supported us throughout this extremely difficult time. Our sincere thanks to the Doctors and Nurses who worked so incredibly hard on Shayla at Kelowna General Hospital. We know you share in our great loss. To the Constables both in Kelowna and Surrey who dealt with us and stayed with our families, we are deeply grateful. Thank You to Cst. Tim Monteith, Cst. Steven Holmes, Cst. Baker, Cst. Williams and deepest gratitude to Sheldon Herman who was willing to risk his life to try and save our daughter. To Betty Noble, you gave all of us peace with you sharing our daughters final moments. To Wayne Laurie from Mountain Peak Ministries, words cannot express how much your presence was appreciated. To Sandy from the Surrey Victims Services, thank you for being there, when the devastating news was given. Our family would like to let the woman who was following Shayla know, there was absolutely nothing you could have done to save her on that treacherous road! Our beloved babygirl has spread her wings and remains the brightest star to always remind us of her love, legacy, and 21 years on this earth.

In the Beatitudes Matthew 5:3 -12...each begins with Blessed are... 

    ·       ...the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. (5:3)

    ·       ...those who mourn: for they will be comforted. (5:4)

    ·       ...the meek: for they will inherit the earth. (5:5)

    ·       ...those who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they will be filled. (5:6)

    ·       ...the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)

    ·       ...the pure in heart: for they will see God. (5:8)

    ·       ...the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)

    ·       ...those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (5:10)

 In my re-do, I understand that every step of the way; hard as it has been…God continues to be my personal guide to Peace, Forgiveness and...

HEALING.




https://youtu.be/tDiG3Nxm7CU  Riley Clemmons VIDEO

By Tonya L Alton









1 comment:

  1. Often, I look back at a post and can see from where it is rooted in. In composing this one, I was dealing with the raw emotions that are stirred up by the sudden deaths of three people, close to my heart, which passed away in the month of December.
    Combined with my stroke brain and mixed in with the memories of Christmas's past, I can understand where it is, I often write from. In reading more about the emotional changes of a Stroke, I found this: Stroke impacts the brain, and the brain controls our behavior and emotions. You or your loved one may experience feelings of irritability, forgetfulness, carelessness or confusion.
    I understand all of the above and have experienced it. I've shared messages unintentional and forgotten I've sent a dear friend my words...three times! I've needed to delete some blog posts, as I realized the importance of taking my hurt to God and not the open, viral world. Yet, when I re-read this entry above, I know it is a keeper ~ to stay amongst the pages.
    During this time of year, as others are struggling with their own sorrow and painful losses, its what the heart knows... that despite the fogginess of the brain...one can connect with the love that dwells within.

    ReplyDelete