Sunday, February 20, 2022

CYCLES

 

Last week, I had an experience so profound that it settled within my soul, to remind me that the humans are capable of malice, yet most of all… Compassion.

In the last post I wrote and openly shared about my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. An illness I acquired after the death of my 21 year old daughter, Shayla. I have explained how any amount of pressure added onto my daily life, can cause me to break into fragments- where my kryptonite is stress.

However dark the pain and sorrow was presented, I found God met me at the crossroads of my suffering, time and time again, to untie me from the railroad tracks, I had bound myself too.

In the year I spent, travelling with others and speaking to various people: teachers, students, LPN’s,  and Human Service Workers, about my two disorders (Bipolar and PTSD), my own symptoms were alleviated. The courage it took, for the group of us to stand before rooms and often gymnasiums of strangers, to lay before them our darkness… we often tend to forget. This is due to the anxiety and depression, wanting to keep us locked-in the hidden rooms- of our own minds.

Yet, there was a strength within each one of us. That saw each individual, remove from their travelling suitcases, ‘the dirty laundry from their lives.’

A dear friend of mine shared this video with me, which speaks more about this…

The Soul is like a suitcase, Dr. Rob Reimer

SOUL CARE: https://youtu.be/UybtzshH0Bg

Sometimes though, even with my best intentions, I find myself in a place of darkness that triggers my PTSD, in such a menacing way- it literally takes days for me to ‘recover.’

In relaying the following incident, which took place, I am not mentioning certain aspects- as I do not want to give any attention to the company/employees that were involved with my vehicle.

Last week, I dropped into Staples for photocopying. I parked my car, in front of a sign that I thought said: 30 minute Parking. While I take full responsibility, I mistakenly thought the sign meant 30 Minute parking, for all vehicles. 

Once inside and copying, an older man walked up to the counter and started to yell at the two ladies working! He started to berate them, saying they weren't working fast enough, where was his order etc.?

I felt sorry for the employees as this man berated them! Not wanting a confrontation, as soon as he walked away out of the store, I promptly went and spoke with the two staff members. They were shaken and I shared how they did not deserve to be yelled and treated like the way he did. I said they were valued and deserve to be respected! I also shared how much I valued them being there! They appreciated my words. I paid and only after 15 minutes of bring in the store, I paid and left the store.

Upon leaving the store, it was then I discovered my car was gone! My first thought, was my vehicle had been stolen! Turns out, I mistakenly parked in front of a Residential area and my car had been towed away by a local company!

I broke down in tears and a man, who had been behind me in the store line approached and asked if he could help?

The stress of the situation triggered my PTSD and I thought I was having a heart attack! All the meanwhile, the man offered his assistance. I explained I have Bipolar, PTSD and a device on my heart.

After I was able to catch my breath, he offered to take me to get my car, which was a few blocks away.

I have decided to keep this man’s first name he provided anonymous. He is a married man, father of one, who stepped into a stressful situation, when I was in crisis.

He suggested I call the towing company, for directions, to pick up my car. I am NOT mentioning the name of the towing company I had direct interaction with. My post explains why. 

I was told my vehicle would cost $XXX.XX amount of dollars to get it out of the compound! 

Also, if it stayed impounded, it would cost me another $XXX.XX to pay daily for it! Suddenly, it dawned on me that all of my monthly medications- I had picked up earlier for my heart, Stroke and disorders - were in the back of my car! Deep inside, I was worried about the GORE device I have on my heart and how all of the stress was affecting me. 

One of four packages of my medications in my blister packs I take for my heart and other illnesses, that were in the back of my towed vehicle! This is the backside, which contains my daily prescriptions. 

The company itself was horrible to deal with and before anyone lays judgment on all tow truck people, I have a side note to add to this, towards the end… after I share what took place at this one.

As I sat, a passenger in a strangers vehicle, I was in tears again, as I explained to the man that I did not have any money to pay for my car.

He was calm and reassuring.

Once at the towing company, I shared how this man- who I did not know- was willing to help me out by driving me there.  Even though, I was letting them know that a stranger was showing me kindness, they proceeded to treat me terribly!

I had to step out in tears and when this man came out of the office, he looked at me, with receipt in hand and said:

"Your bills been paid in full!"

I was in shock and stood there.

I stammered out, "Thank You So Much!"

I shared my website with him, as a means of seeing who he helped out and asked inside for a copy of the receipt- but due to privacy reasons I couldn't get it.

We said our goodbyes and I gave thanks for an angel to be sent to me, in my time of need.

Once the bill was sorted and after getting paid, this towing company was still horrible and rude to me!

In order to pick up my vehicle, they asked for my driver’s licence. I was filled with anxiety, as these were three, unprofessional employees, badgering me. I did not want to hand my ID over, yet I had to.

I then went to locate my car….the one that has the lettering I put on the back of my window:

Nova Scotia Strong, for those who were killed in massive gun violence.

The car that has a large Indigenous sticker that says: Every Child Matters in support of Orange Shirt day

and the vehicle that displays a magnet for my book I wrote- a promise to my late daughter Shayla; covering topics of racism, domestic/child abuse, inequality and faith.

If ever a car was a beacon of light; my little red is it!

Once back inside my vehicle and in clear view of the three employees standing there- seething that I was reclaiming my car, I folded my hands in prayers. I gave thanks to the Creator for shining grace and favour upon me, I prayed for the man that had restored my faith in humanity by paying my large bill, and as I went to offer three single prayers…I saw them press a button that saw the compound gate close on me. Despite being paid, in view of my praying, they stood with menacing smiles, as I rushed to start my car and drive safely away!

In sharing (I've included a picture of the sign, but not the company). I also wrote a review of Staples in North Vancouver, asking people not to park in front of this area, or they will be towed)! If even one person reads my review of Staples and does not park in the wrong area- avoiding their vehicle being hauled away- then I feel I have paid back the stranger.

 Later that night, I suppressed the urge to write a not so favourable review of this towing company. This is despite the fact that I have been a Google Reviewer for ten years. I prayed and realized I could do more good, by simply posting under Staples, not to park here or you will be towed away! I receive updates on the amount of views and my review has been seen over a 100 times! I give full credit to God, as he prompted me to not lash out in anger, but to help others avoid such a painful and costly lesson! For not everyone, will have a stranger, willing to step in.

The next thing I did that night, was to research and read the reviews of other towing companies. 

I was elated to find a local, tow truck company, which has a compassionate heart and who after speaking with Steve the owner of Big Man Towing, I would highly recommend over the others!

Big Man Towing is Not at ALL associated with the other towing company- who actually towed and impounded my vehicle!

Right away, as Steve and I spoke, he was kind and empathetic, to my other negative towing experience. Steve is also a family man and was understanding of what took place. The more we talked, I began to see clearly that this is a man whose positive reviews, reflects on the company he operates, with knowledge, professionalism and dignity. 

In our conversation, we talked about health, as my own wellness had been greatly affected. Steve did not know that only recently, a relative had passed away. I also shared how my own life has been impacted by cancer, in the death of my father. He died from the disease, at the young age of 41.

I appreciated Steve's time and consideration, in speaking with me. 

A few days later, the after effects of what happened with the actual company who towed my car and impounded it, would see my disorders be triggered and ‘take me down’ for days.

Despite all of this, on the weekend, I wrote in my journal the following…

“You may take my car, you may take a stranger’s money, but as I sat in your compound, tears flowing, heart racing, while you pushed the button on your gate to force me to leave…the ONE thing you could not take from me, was my hands folded in prayers, for Each of YOU!”


I decided to also include Steve’s company, Big Man Towing, as a way to pray it forward. To share he has a reputable and wonderful towing company, while also understanding the stress the can occur in these kind of situations. 

To continue on the thread of positivity; instead of feeding the hounds of negativity via social media. 

I didn't want to be happy for someone paying my bill and that was it. I felt compelled to react in the way that I know would bring release, to a difficult situation and free me from the grips of the enemy.

I easily could have written an awful review and yet I wanted to pour light over the darkness and shed the beauty that while certain destructive things can come in ‘cycles’…so can Compassion.

“Usually we are judged by what we do…but I find what we don’t do…is what haunts us.”

-Last Measure

My sincerest thank you to the stranger who stepped in, when I felt my world turned upside down!

I am grateful for Steve’s valued time in speaking with me.

There is much appreciation for a dear friend of mine, who sent me the following video… this speaks to my tender heart and reflects on the cycles in my own life.

Watch "Jonathan McReynolds ft. DOE - Cycles Lyrics (Lyric Video)" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/6o2zd8VDHN0

 

By T.L. Alton

No comments:

Post a Comment