Sunday, January 16, 2022

Women of Courage, Strength and Purpose

 


This past month, I’ve been given many reasons to reflect and be grateful for those who either helped me along the path of life, or came alongside me, in their continual support of friendship and prayers.

I also want to thank those within my own family, who reached out and helped me along the way.

God bless the broken road…for some it is a difficult one.

I was inspired to write about some of the incredibly strong and unwavering spirits- an array of women who embody the true meaning of Resilience.

This blog I dedicate to All Mamie’s in this world, who have suffered and sacrificed in ways- unimaginable.

In December, I received a most beautiful, heartfelt email from a young lady in Kamloops. I had made contact with the two sisters, who I heard of through media and The Kamloops Shoebox Project.

The local chapter is headed by sisters Marisa and Taylor Bertoli – who hope the boxes can lift the spirits of women who might be going through a difficult time, or have been impacted by homelessness. - Dylana Kneeshaw

Taylor took the time to send me a wonder, kind-hearted response and share more about the project and who benefits the most.

A recent visit to their new site displays the amount given to The Kamloops Shoebox Project for Women.



Thank you Canada! $1,457,485 worth of holiday gifts & essentials were delivered this holiday season.

What impressed me the most, was the time given and consideration in Taylor’s response to me, which was greatly appreciated. 

There are several options to make a donation:

https://www.shoeboxproject.ca/ways-to-give/main#donate

The next lady of inspiration is the steadfast, women of courage~ Mamie Till-Moberly.

Mamie Till Moberly is the mother of the late Emmett Till. Mamie's courageous words and actions in how she allowed a nation into her personal grieving, her strength in witnessing what had been done to her son and the ultimate loss of Emmett, made history.

I am not going to repeat certain details of the story, as I feel it is important, for people themselves to  watch the series on television, and also do their own research as to the facts of what happened.

I will give my own opinion as this: It is unconscionable to grasp the sheer revulsion of a criminal system— bent on covering up appalling transgressions, which took place in the south, in the 50’s.

There are many shocking moments in this series, where I was struck with the sheer horror of what happened.

I leave that up to the reader to discover themselves, however there was something I will mention that I had never seen before either…in court their was a bible clearly marked:

“For Coloured People.”

For those seeking retribution for what had been done against a 14 year old boy, named Emmett Till, there would be an on-going commitment to hold those responsible, for what had taken place.

In 1955, Mamie Till was unwillingly thrust into American history. The murder of her son, Emmett, catapulted the quiet Chicago civil service employee into a lifetime of advocacy, starting with seeking justice for the death of her son. -PBS

Another unlikely hero was a young seventeen girl named Lisa McVey.

I watched the Lifetime movie called: Believe Me: The Abduction of Lisa McVey  and sat in complete awe of this girls strength and bravery.

The real survivorship of this true crime story, is the fact that what had Police and leading investigators baffled for months, because of Lisa McVey, she ended the terrifying reign of a serial killer targeting women.

What astonished me also was the way Lisa was originally unfairly treated by some of the Police; despite the incredible details and what Lisa did, in order to survive her horrible ordeal.


The ending was shocking and is an harrowing account of what a human being can endure- in the midst of crisis.

I want to end my blog on a thoughtful note by mentioning someone who I shared my birthday with and who would have been turning a 100 years old. The legendary star of “Golden Girls,” the late Betty White- who passed away at the age of 99, devoted her life as an animal rights activist. Many contributions Betty gave of her time, energy, support and funds to improving the conditions at the Los Angeles Zoo and other endangered species.

I acknowledge Betty White, as there is a kindred connection to those whose lives were saved and protected by Betty’s pioneering activism.

All these women I’ve written about have various degrees of strengths, heroism, courage and unwavering spirit. Despite some of the subject matter being difficult, I can see in these women fearlessness. A willingness to take on serious issues such as poverty, homelessness, violence against women and children, and the plight of those who cannot speak for themselves.

To me, these are the precious gifts that should not only matter on the day you were born, but also throughout the year.

I can be most grateful for women placed in my own life: Nurses, Doctors, Pharmacist, Teacher’s and helpers, Caregivers, Mothers, Aunts, Cousins, Sisters and dearest friends who have seen me through another year. To the one's whose heart I've encountered before and to those who've been a solid rock of support, I am deeply gracious for all I have received! 

As I look forward, I treasure the things that no amount of money can buy….to those fierce butterflies that take flight, never knowing where their journey may transform them too.

Thank you for bringing me to another birthday...in spite of being by myself, I feel all of you in my heart. 💖

 


 By TL Alton


No comments:

Post a Comment