Wednesday, March 20, 2019

All Things Kennected



Music is what is born when the heavens cannot be heard. ~ TL Alton 

We can all remember a time in our lives when we heard a snippet of a song, the tail end of lyrics and knew that wherever life carried us, we would reflect on that moment of hearing it, for the first time. 

In February 2012, I was in a Paper Gift shop in London, England. I walked in just as a song was coming to a close. The lyrics “Angels to fly…Angels to die,” grabbed my attention. It was less than 10 weeks after my daughter had passed and anything related to angels, stood out. I was so moved by a string of words that I took out a slip of paper and wrote them down. It would be months later that I would have a music encounter on the radio and be privileged to hear the full song by Ed Sheeran ~ The A- Team. 




When the opportunity arises where a friend introduces you to a musician you have never heard before, a connection is made. All it takes is that chance encounter to spread the passion of artistry.

One day, my dear friend Sarah Kube, sent me a song of a man she heard performing while on her travels. She was on a layover when Sarah encountered Ken Stead. My friend was so moved by his music and knowing how much of an avid music lover I am, she sent me Ken’s song. As my fingers typed his name into You Tube, I further was welcomed in, by his moving way of sharing his songs. 

Never could I imagine, when my journey took a serious bend in the highway of life, I would get to meet the man, from my hometown in Edmonton. 

In a previous blog post, my storytelling explains how the crossroads of our paths, saw Ken Stead and Kyle Mosiuk, perform in Port Alberni, BC. The venue was exquisite, for their harmonies played off the arched rafters of Char’s Landing Public house. A renovated church that has existed for a 100 years - showcased the talents of two musicians, who simply wanted to perform. Those in attendance were fortunate to be amongst Ken and Kyle, in an intimate gathering, where their gifts shone through.

During a break, I introduced myself and as I shared about my own battles and overcoming adversity, Ken and Kyle offered me something so rare and most valuable…they gave me their time. 

The next day, I was summoned back to the venue, where I was presented with a stapled envelope and a sincere gifting of support, was tucked inside. Looking back, it was a remarkable time of these travelling musicians who would pay it forward, to me. I had also received two signed CD’s of Ken Stead’s “Fear Has No Place Here.” One was for me and the other for Sarah. The song’s lyrics found a residence within and quickly became one of my favourites. 

Ken Stead Source: Big Valley Jamboree
The following information is from Ken Stead’s Kickstarter Campaign:

Under Ken Stead's Album "Civil War" International Release

Ken Stead's Album "Civil War" second full length album titled Civil War needs a boost to effectively distribute and promote it to as many people as possible.

Civil War Kickstarter Link on YouTube >>>  https://youtu.be/vEAbHtLC9Rg

The concept of Civil War is to encourage people that whatever inner battles we are going through, that they are worth it if we're always seeking inner peace.  ~ Ken Stead

Certainly, I can relate to the main notion of the upcoming album and wish Ken, along with everyone involved all very best! 

I encourage others to become involved and read for themselves all that Ken Stead has shared on the Kickstarter Campaign. 

Here is the link to a song that I enjoy. 

 Ken Stead - Oh Carolina ~ https://youtu.be/FsPSH8obAZM

I would like to add that the next time you find yourself walking by a fountain or
under the lights of a city somewhere and your ears hear the melody of a musician, give them your valued time…Your heart and soul will thank you for it. 


By TL Alton

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Everyone! I deleted my previous comments, as I have now made changes to correct it so those commenting can post, without any issues.
    Thank you to all individuals reading and for taking the time to let me know your thoughts :)
    ~ TL Alton

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music and dance is one strong commonality that helps surpass social barriers and binds us. Whether it be techno in a club, an intimate gig in a church, or more tribal drums around a fire - rhythm is in our dna and it transcends other forms of communication that often separate us. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A well said response of how rhythm is at the core of us, with the flow of musical beats, uniting each other. When different languages may fail, music places a fire amongst ourselves and stirs within a need to express!
    Thankful for your comments!

    ReplyDelete